MCCBCHST CALLS FOR PRAYER AS THE PEOPLE OF SARAWAK GO TO THE POLLS
As the people of Sarawak go to the polls, the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism (MCCBCHST) call upon all concerned citizens of Sarawak to say special prayers in these critical times in the life of the State.
DURING THIS TIME LET US BE IN PRAYER that candidates for the State Election will
. LIVE UP TO THE COMMON RELIGIOUS VALUES which constitute the moral underpinning of the State and Nation.
· UNDERTAKE TO SERVE ALL OF THEIR CONSTITUENTS when elected.
· CAMPAIGN WITH GOODWILL AND HARMONY founded on mutual respect, understanding, consultation and dialogue.
· STRIVE TO ENSURE GREATER NATIONAL UNITY founded on the protection of the fundamental liberties and human rights of all Malaysians with justice and fairness for all.
MCCBCHST CALL ON THE PEOPLE OF SARAWAK TO
. INVEST TIME AND ENERGY to fulfil their responsibilities as citizens and be at their respective polling stations to be able to cast their votes.
· STUDY THE ELECTIONS MANIFESTO of all contesting parties and candidates with discernment.
· CAST THEIR VOTES WISELY without fear or favour according to their own conscience.
·BE MINDFUL OF AND TO IMPRESS UPON THE CANDIDATES THE CRITICAL ISSUES OF OUR NATIONAL LIFE including the following:
1. THE JUDICIARY AND THE POLICE FORCE must be independent in carrying out their constitutional duties.
2. THE CONSTITUTIONAL GUARANTEES OF RELIGIOUS FREEDOM have been infringed over the years and in recent times despite numerous meetings which religious bodies such as the Malaysian Consultative Council of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism have been having with the authorities at the highest levels of government. Therefore,
· The sincerity of verbal assurances by the authorities must be demonstrated by actual implementation so that every bona fide religious community can fulfil their respective religious obligation.
· Arbitrary actions in blatant contravention of the Constitutional guarantees of religious freedom must stop.
. No religious community should be subjected or forced to conform to the religious rules of another religion.
Religious freedom is the very essence of justice and fairplay and forms the very foundation of any great democratic nation. National unity and integration will be adversely affected if no proper regard is given to matters of religious freedom.
A 48-year old independent nation including Sabah and Sarawak should rightly be expected to get her act together in regard to this.
3. THE FEDERAL CONSTITUTION’S INTEGRITY should be protected so that it will NOT lose its position as the guarantor of the rule of law and the people’s interest.
4. THE PARLIAMENTARY DEMOCRACY SYSTEM of the nation is premised on the respective roles played by the ruling party and the loyal opposition. Both are needed
to ensure that democratic principles and dynamics are alive for the good of the State, providing the necessary checks and balances and spurring the State to greater standards of transparency and progress.
THE RELIGIOUS COMMUNITIES WITHIN MCCBCHST ARE IN EARNEST PRAYER that whichever side win or lose in the coming electoral process, may the people of Sarawak be the real winners when their concerns and aspirations are addressed and resolved and election promises are kept to the benefit of all.
MAY OUR COUNTRY BE BLESSED WITH JUSTICE, PEACE, NATIONAL UNITY AND PROSPERITY!
Dated this 13th day of April 2011
Reverend Dr. Thomas Philips – President
Daozhang Tan Bon Sin – Deputy President
Venerable Ming Ji – Vice-President
Sardar V. Harcharan Singh – Vice-President
Mr. RS. Mohan Shan – Vice-President
Mr. Prematilaka KD Serisena – Hon. Secretary General
The members of the Council are:
Buddhist – Malaysian Buddhist Association, Buddhist Missionary Society of Malaysia and Sasana Abhiwurdhi Wardhana Society.
Christians – The Christian Federation of Malaysia comprising the Catholic Bishop’s Conference, Council of Churches of Malaysia & National Evangelical Christian Fellowship
Hindus – Malaysia Hindu Sangam
Sikhs – Malaysian Gurdwaras Council, Sikh Naujawan Sabha Malaysia and Khalsa Diwan Malaysia
Taoist – Federation of Taoist Associations Malaysia
No comments yet.